A personal trainer is hoping to raise people’s pulses and funds for a Dorset charity that cares for people suffering from terminal illnesses.
The 33-year-old has previously donated monthly memberships to charity and decided to support the trust after her grandmother received treatment from them.
“I researched the Weldmar Hospicecare Trust and found out that it costs millions of pounds to fund the home visits, hospices and support groups they provide. The NHS only supplies a small percentage of funding and the rest of the money has to be raised locally so I’d like to give something back. It’s a charity you don’t want to use but, when you do need to use their services, it’s invaluable.”
Each of Charmaine’s 45-minute sessions vary with exercises ranging from beach pebble running, boxing and resistance training as well as military-style workouts such as burpees, press ups and squat thrusts.
Charmaine also provides diet planning, food diary analysis, monthly measurements, weekly weigh-ins and a newsletter with fitness articles, recipes and tips.
People ranging from 20 to 60 years old attend her sessions although anyone as young as 15 is welcome to join. Charmaine recently coached a woman in her fifties who completed the Reading half marathon in March and had never run before.
She added: “I don’t have a specific target of how much money I’d like to raise but I’d like to make as much as possible. People don’t have to sign up for a month’s membership. I’m encouraging anyone to come along to the sessions, even if it’s just one, to see whether they enjoy it. If they do that’s brilliant but, if they don’t, they’ve experienced outdoor fitness and contributed money to a worthy cause.”
Charmaine holds sessions every weekday morning at 6.30am meeting at Weymouth Pier Bandstand and every weekday evening at 5.30pm meeting at the Sypglass Inn, Overcombe. Each session costs £5.
The Weldmar Hospicecare Trust
The Weldmar Hospicecare Trust is a local independent charity that provides specialist palliative care to people suffering from cancer and other terminal illnesses. The trust also cares for individuals who choose to remain in their own home through day hospices, social groups and a specialist nursing service. Doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, social workers, bereavement workers and over 250 patient care volunteers provide services to patients and their families free of charge. 70% of the money required to fund the trust has to be raised locally and the remaining 30% is supplied by the NHS.